Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 108


So it's been hard to come up with a way to start today's blog, honestly. So many things have happened and so many things have changed that it's difficult to find a place where to begin.
When I started the UY program I had already been taking yoga for many years. I had some wonderful teachers back in AZ who got the "yoga bug" growing in me. For that I thank them immensly and I miss their presence every day; because even if some people are "here", you can't quite feel their presence. They had that special vibe going on that I miss terribly.
Then I moved all the way to Spain with a broken heart because I was leaving behind my home, my friends and the life that I had built for myself there. The first two years here were the hardest: not because I was miserable or unhappy, but because I was homesick and I longed to see "my people". I totally gave up practicing and just went on to watch the days pass me by all the while trying to find a way to go back to what I had.
As the days and months went by and I saw that no matter how much I obsessed about it, things were not going to change for the moment. I guess I just got tired of feeling so out of place and decided to start making changes. I knew that one of the main things that I needed to go back to was my practice because that always made me feel good with myself and that meant that I would be feeling good with others as well.
In comes this wonderful search engine called Google and voilà! I found the Ultimate Yogi. I bought it feeling a bit sceptical and didn't give it much thought till I started watching the DVDs. I really liked what I saw and I started to get excited about going all in with the program. I found out about the new round starting on May 6th and decided to wait and start along with everyone else. That folks, was a smart decision, because if there's one thing I am grateful for, is having met all these wonderful people that have practiced alongside me.
Down this road I saw many changes in my body and mind. Physically I am stronger and more flexible than I have ever been. I remember I used to wonder about being able to complete 108 SS and as I was doing them effortlessly today I got a HUGE smile on my face. The muscle tone you get? Fabulous!
As for my crazy noggin and all the things that happen in there...well I do believe that I did somehow meet my intention, which was to be more patient. I don't go ballistic as often as I used to and I have learned to stop myself before saying something I will regret. I am a crazy person, don't forget that! But I am taking it easier now.
But what I got most out of this program is the ability to let go of things and people that are not good for me. I have always been the kind of person that tries to avoid going into conflict with others and wants to keep everyone happy. Well sometimes you just have to get real and cut those ties that bind. I always knew I had to do that, but never got the push I needed till I started the program. Listening to Travis and taking the time to find what was wrong with certain things was what did it for me.
What I am most grateful for? The people I have "met" through this program. Funny, witty, crazy, weird, smart and caring people. They have certainly made this journey a memorable one. Here's to meeting some of you along the road! I am sure it will be something I will cherish forever.
To all those of you who have stood by me, cheered me on, read this crazy blog and love me for the whacko that I am I am most grateful and will never forget your kind words and actions.
To Travis, Lauren, Yariv and all the UY gang I owe so much! This truly delivers: I do have that shift inside my eyes. I can only hope I can thank them in person some day.
And to all of you who are reading this and are on the fence about doing this journey: JUST DO IT! I promise it will be all what you expect and more! And when you are done, you'll see that you won't be able to stop, because yoga is a lifestyle, not a mere sport or challenge.
And finally I hope that all this is not all too cheesy because seeing that I am done, I am having some wine and that always makes me so chatty and corny.
As always, sending groovy vibes to all of you out there and I will DEFINITELY see you on the mat!
Namaste.







Ale over and out.

7 comments:

  1. So dude - where is day 109 and 110?? You started over, yes? Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dude! I think I have run out of yogic things to say. If I keep on writing this could turn funny for you and me and maybe hurtful for others? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it 108 days !! So glad it's over !!! But miss it too . Ended up spraining my ankle right after that day . Glad it wasn't before :-) thank you for your company throughout this journey !! If you are ever in Chicago lets def get on the mat together. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congraulations Uma! I just finished the 108 sun salutations this morning, literally like an hour ago lol. I am soooo glad I am done and am incredibly proud of myself, but also sad that that part of the journey is over.

      Hope your ankle has healed up now. I did get a lot of aches and pains during the challenge but got through it with the help of wrist guards, foam rolling, muscle ache cream and pain killers ha ha. Now for a few days rest before I start up a different exercise rotation. It will be good to get some variety again.

      Go us! 😁

      Delete
    2. Uma!! I never received a notification for this post! A bit late, but CONGRATULATIONS!! What an achievement, eh? You did it, girl!
      So happy for you and I completely agree with how bittersweet it is to finish this journey.
      Congratulations once more and do keep in touch. After all, we are fellow Ultimate Yogis :)

      Delete
    3. Janice! Ultimate Yogini!! Congratulations, my friend! What a journey!
      You pulled through thick and thin and came out shining the other end.
      So proud and happy for you. Can't wait to see what's next for you ;)

      Delete
    4. So glad you wrote this blog and kept it live even after you finished the challenge. It has helped us and I am sure lots of future Ultimate Yogis and Yoginis to come! ❤️

      Delete