Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 93


So this morning we were a bit sleepy because late last nite we had to make a run to the ER because my son got an earache close to 11:00 pm. We had him checked out, got the meds we needed and he's doing super fine today. Also had to get earplugs because there is no way I can keep him away from the pool, honestly. Anyway, we got up early, had a power breakfast and took off to see the Alhambra. What a wonderful way to start a Tuesday! It had been a long time since I had been to the Alhambra. Last time I went they were about to close the access to El Patio de los Leones (Courtyard of the Lions) to restore it. It took them ten years to do so and they have just reopened it last summer, so I had been wanting to go since then.
La Alhambra is a palace and fortress complex and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's history is super rich and complex and worth investigating. If you ever have the opportunity to travel all the way to Spain, I highly recommend making the Alhambra a must see spot on your trip.
We got there at 10:00 am and you have to be very punctual, because in order to avoid huge crowds, visits to the Alhambra are time regulated. Once you go in, you have four hours to complete it. It might sound weird or inconvenient, but I think it's a wonderful idea because you get to see it all, take pictures and enjoy it without it being overly crowded.
Anyway, we went in and spent the next four hours with our mouths open and our minds blown. Jesus Christ is that place extremely cool! All of it! Every single corner is filled with beautiful carvings and mosaics. All the spaces were given serious thought so that it all flows and converges at the right place at the right time. Even though it was a super hot day, you find yourself super cool inside the palaces and courtyards. No photograph does it ANY justice: the detail, the perfection. You just have to be there -ahem Megaroo. Next trip fo' sho'-.
El Patio de los Leones is breathtaking after the remodel: every little detail was restored to perfection and the whole effect of the courtyard is superb. This is my favorite spot of the Alhambra without a doubt.
After completing the Alcazaba and the Nazaries Palaces, we headed out to El Generalife, which is right across from the Alhambra. El Generalife, which was the summer palace and country estate of the Kings of the Emirate of Granada, is famous for its gardens. It's like stepping into an oasis: they are a sight for sore eyes! And those fountains? Heavenly. My favorite spot of the Generalife is el Patio de la Acequia: it reminds me so much of my father...
I have attached a few photos I took with my iPhone; but I promise better ones to come when we get back home. Here they are:

Alcazaba

Detailed carving inside Mexuar Palace

Comares Palace

Patio de los Leones

Fountain in El Patio de los Leones

Patio de los Leones

Patio de los Leones

Patio de los Leones

Example of carvings

The little dude on his way to the Generalife

Partial view of the Alhambra from the Generalife

Panoramic view of the Alhambra from the Generalife

Insanely cool, yes?
Well, after having walked nonstop for four hours -it's a big, big palace complex- we were more than ready to sit and cool down while having lunch. We ducked in one of the many tascas you can find in downtown Granada. The good thing about the south of Spain is that you will have a pretty savory meal wherever you go. Another cool thing of the south is that for every drink you order, you get a free tapa; and those tapas are a pretty decent size, so you can have a full varied meal for a couple of bucks. Today we had beef stew, pinchos morunos (seasoned pork in a skewer), a pork loin mini baguette sandwich, Spanish ham montaditos with alioli and baby broad beans with Spanish ham. Now, so you can see how cheap this was, we had like eight drinks between beer and cokes and for all that we paid 20 euros, which is like 25 USD. Those portions were big, mind you: no need to order anything else. The picture below is for the baby broad beans. The rest dissappeared before I could even take my phone out of my bag.


After lunch we headed back home where we dropped dead on the terrace. Once I felt I had rehydrated and rested for a while, I got to Mountain Pose series. Now, Mountain Pose went super fine, because even though I had throbbing, tired feet, I did the movements facing the lake and the mountains, so it was super pretty and peaceful. For Pranayama, things didn't go so well. I found myself not being able to complete the holding of the breaths and sneaked in way more than one huge gulp of air. I cheated a lot! The meditation was cool, because I sat cross legged for it and kept my eyes open. It was more of a nice friendly chat rather than a meditation. I still have to do the Peter Sellers one, so I'll make up with that one.
For dinner we'll have some gazpacho and fresh fruit we got from the market today.
Today I feel super blessed and grateful to have been able to go back to La Alhambra after so many years. It holds a special place in my heart and there's nowhere else like it in the world. Tonite I am going to bed with a big smile on my face and an even bigger one in my heart.
Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment