Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Day Before

Well, well. I start my journey tomorrow alongside an army of people from all around the world. Not gonna lie to you: it's pretty exciting and I am looking forward to it. UY Facebook group is turning out to be pretty awesome and I have a feeling that I'm gonna meet some pretty interesting people there.
Now, I have been asked several questions that I want to address here before I start. One of them is why am I doing this? People wonder if I am crazy, bored, having a mid life crisis or just killing time. Well... none of the above! I am doing this for me and for myself only. Yoga makes me feel pretty good about myself and my surroundings; and when one feels good with oneself, one is a better person towards others. I find that I am more calm, patient, understanding, open and caring. It also quiets my mind and makes me see things more clearly, living in the now and not fretting so much about what happened or what's to come. It also tones my body in amazing ways, and honestly... I like looking good. So, now you know! I think those are some amazing reasons why to take care of yourself, yes?
I have also been asked if I am going to all of a sudden turn vegetarian or a "freak who only eats fruit". Hellz no! Like I said before, I keep a healthy diet. It's not perfect and I do overindulge sometimes. I will try to do my absolute best to keep a healthier diet all throughout the program. I will be giving up alcohol and processed foods. I will be cooking all my food fresh from home and if I go out to a restaurant I will stick to salads. I will be buying all my produce and ingredients organic. About coffee, it's not a problem for me to give it up because I am a tea drinker; but I do like my Coke Zero, so caffeine is present. I will reduce my intake of that to one -two tops- cokes a day. Dairy? I won't be giving that up. I like it and I always consume it with moderation. I will be changing the kind of dairy I eat, like instead of having some camembert or brie, I will have fresh goat cheese or cottage cheese. Meat, fish and chicken? Gonna keep them in my diet. I will reduce the amount of meat I eat and change it for grilled chicken or fresh fish. I have already been to the market and bought all kinds of healthy food to aide me in the sensible eating program. I will be recording everything I eat and drink in this blog, so keep an eye out for those photos and recipes! I will write it all down at night, once my son is in bed and the day is winding down so I can do it in peace, so those blog posts will be coming up in the afternoon over in America.
I am also creating a cute space for my practice at home. It's not yet complete since I am waiting for some things to arrive from the States; but as soon as it's ready, I will post some photos of it.
Finally, I weighed myself this morning and took the before pictures. I am 5.7" and weigh 126 lbs. Of my body mass 27.1 is fat (normal range) and I have 2088 calorie intake daily. I will weigh myself again after I finish the first part of the sequence and see what comes up.
As for the photos? Well, here they are. I will take some more when I weigh myself again.

May 6th 2013

Vrksasana

Parsvakonasana

Utthita Parsvakonasana

Virabhadrasana I

Virabhadrasana II

Parivrtta Virabhadrasana II

Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. Great post, Ale... I already filled up my fridge with healthy stuff and cleaned up my space. I also looked for all my comfy clothes to have them on hand. I dont want to be wasting time in the mornings to get ready for my practice. I still need to take my "before pictures" i will do it later today. Good luck, it is going to be an awesome journey. And it is great to share it with all this amazing people in the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vimarie! I am really looking forward to it! I am also very happy to have met you through this awesome journey we are about to embark. Te mando muchos besitos y comparamos notas mañana ;)

      Delete
  2. Great job Ale! Keep up the good work and I look forward to watching your health-filled journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Tiff! Let's see where this takes us. Love!

      Delete
  3. you don't need luck. You are already ready for this journey. Those pictures are pro looking pictures. You'll do fine. Namaste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You are much too kind Tytbody! Thank you so much. I know it will be a good journey filled with amazing pople to share it with. Namaste.

      Delete
  4. So glad I found your blog!!! I ran across Travis Elliot and the 108 Day Ultimate Yogi Challenge a few weeks ago and REALLY wanted to do the challenge with a FB group. May 1st was not a great start date for me because I am knee deep in training for IRONMAN 70.3 Raleigh on June 2nd. I am swimming, biking, and running two times each a week and doing yoga 2-3 times a week. I am so excited to follow you on your journey and get your thoughts. Best of luck!!! Your pictures look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rich!
    Wow you are one fit man! Congrats on all your fitness comings and goings! I wish you the very best of luck for Ironman. Do keep me posted on how it all goes, yes? Also let me know when you start the UY program so we can vent together. Meanwhile, let's remember this: NO PAIN NO GAIN! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alejandra! I will let you know! Today's blog post was hilarious, but I feel your pain. Feeling much better about holding off after reading about Cardio. I may start on my own about June 10th...going to take a full week off after IM training, but I really like the idea of Group Pain!!! lol. Yesterday was a 2,300 meter (1.4 mile) swim. Tonight I get on my bike trainer and do bike intervals...I hate bike intervals!!! :)

      On a personal note, I was in the Air Force and stationed at Torrjeon AB for 4 years!!! LOVED IT!!! Madrid was incredible. All of Spain was fantastic. Euro-railed all over Europe for 30 days with a few friends.

      Delete
    2. Cool! You did spend a chunk of time here! I was born and raised in Mexico City, I lived in Scottsdale AZ for 6 years and moved here to Valencia 3 years ago. Looking into moving sometime soon either to Sydney or London -rooting for Sydney- before finally settling down in California. All wishful thinking, but working hard to get there. Euro-rail across Europe is one of the best ways to go; and doing it with friends? Brilliant! So, stay frosty (I know that's Army. Don't know a cool Air Force term) and own that bike!

      Delete
  6. This is too funny...my first assignment was at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ. I spent 3 years at Luke. Then was assigned to Torrejon. Used to love going to Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor and drinking in the caves. We used to go to a beach in Bennidorm a couple of times a year. What a blast from the past!!!

    I would love to visit Australia one day. Let's see...cool Air Force Term??? Aim High!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So you were one of those pilots that would swoosh over my house from time to time, eh? Wicked cool. One of my sisters lives in Madrid and she is way too familiar with all those bars you mention. Hehe...

      Delete
  7. Can you ever be *way* too familiar??? lol. We would go 2-3 times a week. I was there probably more than Hemingway!!! :)

    ReplyDelete