Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 44


Oh how I love, love Balance! Everything about it: the warm up series, the easy balances as well as the bite down the bullet ones. Thighs, calves, ankles and even toes burn like ca-razy and I still love it. Some poses I can do off the bat and some I wobble a lot. On some I have to use a strap -same one as Lauren does- and on some I use a block -half moon pose-. Some I wobble extra and fall out of, but I always get back on. Funny though, it doesn't upset or frustrate me, as one would expect. Instead I take it all with a good laugh or giggle and try again. Don't know why, because I do get upset at certain points in other classes; but not on this one. I also love how funny Travis is in this class: really makes me laugh out loud. By the end I have this huge smile on my face and I feel tired, but the real good kind of tired. The kind that I would do it all over again to get that sense of satisfaction. In overall, I think it's safe to say this is my favorite class of all the DVD set.
I had a great surprise today when I was able to do the arm balance right where Travis says that those who want to, can go ahead and do the balancing on forearms. I had been practicing before on my own these past few days watching Francine's video on FB, so I decided to give it a go. When I was able to do it AND hold it for a few seconds I was all O_O. As soon as I finished the class I tried and bam! I could do it again. Over and over. Sometimes I fall quickly out of it, but sometimes I am able to hold it longer. Here is a pic of me doing it -I know I posted it already in the UY FB group; but I am very proud of my little self... bear with me-


Now it's on to try doing the side crow pose one. Not today though because arms are sore from practicing so much. I have a feeling Strength and I are gonna have some words tomorrow due to my already tired arms. But hey! it was worth it.
For lunch today I had a traditional mexican tortilla soup with some bits of chicken, avocado, fresh cheese and crispy tortilla strips all in a wonderful chicken broth mixed with several chiles that gave it a nice kick.


Today I meditated in the afternoon because when I do so before bedtime I doze off and have to catch my head as it dives down. Jeez! I could do ten minutes no problem; but twenty is turning out to be a real challenge! Those minutes just seem to drag on slow. Very slow. Anyone else out there having this same situation? I don't even wanna think how it's gonna go when we have to do half an hour. Imma be sleeping on my meditation pillow, that's what's gonna happen.
Anyway, for dinner I had one of my mixed greens salads with the usual pine nuts, alfalfa sprouts, goji berries and roasted walnuts in a green apple balsamic vinaigrette.


Off to bed early tonite to read this wonderful book I just started on Sunday. It's called "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel" by Matthew Dicks. It has nothing to do with yoga and it is such a wonderful read! I recommend it to all of you who want to take a breather of all things yoga -yes, sometimes there can be too much yoga- and enjoy a good read.
Strength tomorrow. Ay, ay ay...

7 comments:

  1. YES i feel the same way about strength - I laugh , wobble abdcfall out of positions ! Find the class HARD but enjoy the class - my feet get fatigued ! Today was hard to jump right into hard core but I persevered! I am desperately trying to strengthen my core afte baby - it's a slow progress - any tips ??? Btw wow wee on your arm balance - def a Rock star - if I tried I would be flat on my face :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Uma!
      I'm happy to see that you like Balance as well! A lot of the people I did UY with weren't so keen on it, so it felt like I was the only one cheering, lol.
      Yes! Getting ourselves back in shape after a baby is a killer! I find that what helped me the most for the core area was Pilates. That was the only thing that helped me get rid of that stubborn "pouch" and love handles. I went to my gym and took every class of Pilates I could find; and after a few months, I started seeing results. Have you ever tried Pilates?

      Delete
  2. I meant feel the same way about balance !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I did fall on my face several times while practicing arm balances. At some point I ended up with a black eye, lol.

      Delete
  3. Ooohh Pilates - no I haven't tried it - will check it out - that's exactly right the pouch needs to go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I can't do that arm balance at all! I think I am too heavy lol!

    Balance is not my friend and I also use the strap and block on the same poses as you do. Hopefully I will get better with time. Can't believe I have another eight weeks of balance to go. Ugh!!

    I will try the 'standing squat' with the eagle wrap next week and let you know how I get on. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's not an "I am too heavy" kinda thing. It is knowing where and how to place your weight, no matter how much or little it is. Know what I mean?
      With side crow it is the same thing. Just be patient: it can be lotsa fun and so rewarding when you are able to hold the pose.

      Delete